The International Maritime Organization IMO decided today on 22 April 2016 on the entry into force of the regulations concerning the special area of the Baltic Sea. By these regulations the discharge of raw sewage from passenger ships and ferries directly into the sea is banned. All the Baltic Sea states are unanimous in support of the decision.
Legal provisions on transport market will be brought together under one act, the Transport Code. The reform aims to support new service models and better respond to the needs of transport users. The Transport Code will make market access easier and promote the interoperability of the different parts of the transport system.
The Finnish Ministry of Transport and Communications initiates preparations to reform the transport network development and financing. The aim is an economically sustainable operational framework that provides for a long-term maintenance and development of the transport network
Director-General Minna Kivimäki has been appointed Finland’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the European Union and Deputy Permanent Representative to Coreper I in Brussels. The term in the EU will start on 1 September 2016 and continue until 31 August 2020.
The Government agreed on 5 April 2016 on the general government fiscal plan for 2017–2020.
The Government will launch the Luumäki–Imatra rail project and the projects of mainroad 4 between Oulu and Kemi, mainroad 5 between Mikkeli and Juva, and mainroad 12 Lahti South Ring Road. A discretionary government grant will be directed to the construction of Raide–Jokeri light rail link and Tampere tramway. Planning work for the high-speed rail connection between Helsinki and Turku will continue.
- Finnish identification system to be made compatible with EU member states Press release04.05.2016 13.45 fi sv en
- Minister Berner to meet Switzerland's Federal Councillor for transport Press release28.04.2016 14.12 fi en
- Paavo Lipponen and Reijo Svento explore the prerequisites for the cable project in the North-East Passage Press release27.04.2016 15.11 fi sv en
- Ban on the discharge of sewage from cruise ships into the Baltic Sea Press release22.04.2016 15.16 fi en
- Minister Berner to a high-level meeting arranged by the Norwegian Government Press release21.04.2016 12.48 fi sv en
- Minister Berner meets the Russian Transport Minister in St. Petersburg Press release19.04.2016 15.56 fi sv en
- Transport Code enables better transport services and flexible business operations Press release18.04.2016 16.02 fi sv en
- Preparations for the improvement of the state transport network started Press release18.04.2016 13.03 fi sv en