EUR 277 million in EU funding available for improving digital connections
The European Union provides funding through the Connecting Europe Facility for projects that improve the digital infrastructure in the EU. In the current call for proposals, a total of EUR 277 million will be allocated for the purpose. Support is now available for 5G projects that improve the digital services on transport routes or develop the local public services, for example.
Throughout the EU, the Digital Programme of the Connecting Europe Facility, CEF Digital, provides support for investments that improve safe and reliable high-capacity digital infrastructure. In the current call for applications, the EU will fund fast and high-capacity communications networks, such as the deployment of 5G services in connection with key EU transport routes. The aim is to automate transport, particularly in cross-border sections in Member States. In addition, EU-level core networks will be funded between and within Member States as well as between the EU and third countries.
The EU also supports the 5G deployment of local public services, for example in schools and hospitals. Funding will also be allocated to networks connecting rural, remote and overseas areas and to digital solutions for transport and energy networks. Funding may be applied for by operators, such as public and private companies, from EU Member States, EU overseas territories and countries associated with the programme. Certain calls for proposals are subject to security restrictions, in which case the applicant is requested to provide the relevant guarantees.
In January 2022, the European Commission launched a new call for funding in the digital sector and its second set of calls for applications is now under way. The budget for the promotion of digital connections is approximately EUR 2 billion in the funding period 2021–2027.
· In Finland, the calls are coordinated by the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom. More information on the matter is available on Traficom's website: https://www.traficom.fi/fi/viestinta/viestintaverkot/eun-cef-digital funding
· A webcast of Traficom’s online event presenting the application process can be found at: https://www.webcasting.fi/traficom/ZNTWmYKn/
Applicants should submit to Traficom the project summary and form A of the application and, if necessary, the required guarantees by 16 December 2022 and form B by 9 January 2023.
The deadline for submitting applications to the electronic system of the European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA) is 23 February 2023. More information on the funding application process can be found on the websites of Traficom and HaDEA. Since the applications require a national statement of support, those applications proposed to be submitted from Finland will be presented to the Ministerial Finance Committee by the Ministry of Transport and Communications.
Tiia Korhonen, Senior Officer, Ministry of Transport and Communications, tel. +358 295 342 147, firstname.lastname@example.org
Päivi Peltola-Ojala, Chief Specialist, Transport and Communications Agency Traficom, tel. +358 295 390 539, email@example.com
- Transport and Communications Agency Traficom: Application process and deadlines (in Finnish)
- Transport and Communications Agency Traficom: Information about CEF Digital funding (in Finnish)
- European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA), Press release, 10 October 2022: €277 million available in new Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) Digital calls
- European Health and Digital Executive Agency (HaDEA): Connecting Europe Facility – Digital