null Comments invited on draft decree on a model for driver qualifications for heavy road vehicles
Comments invited on draft decree on a model for driver qualifications for heavy road vehicles
On 12 February 2020, the Ministry of Transport and Communications invited comments on draft amendments to a decree that specify the provisions on a test model for qualifications for lorry and bus drivers. The amendment aims to remedy the shortage of heavy vehicle drivers and to ensure the provision of transport services.
The provisions of the Act on Transport Services concerning professional qualification requirements for lorry and bus drivers entered into force on 1 January 2020. By virtue of the Act, it will be possible to pass the initial qualification requirements for goods and passenger transport services by road by taking a qualification test only. At present, the initial qualifications can be completed in the form of training or accelerated training.
The initial qualification test consists of a theoretical examination and a practical examination divided into two parts. The test model measures the same skills as the current training alternative.
The Government Decree, on which comments are now invited, contains provisions on the practical implementation of the test model. They specify the Act on Transport Services. In addition, the Decree lays down provisions on the organisers and assessors of the test in order to ensure equal treatment of candidates and organisers across Finland.
The purpose of the test model is to offer more flexible alternatives for completing driver qualifications. The model would, among other things, speed up and facilitate access to the profession for those who already have expertise in the field.
The test model would first be introduced in training centres approved by the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency.
The deadline for commenting the decree amendments is 10 March 2020. The request for comments is available online at www.lausuntopalvelu.fi.
Following the consultation round, the preparations for amending the Decree will continue by Ministry officials.
Monika Mutanen, Senior Officer, tel. + 358 295 34 2125
Maija Mansikkaniemi, Senior Specialist, tel. +358 295 34 2016 (17.2-28.2.2020)
- Press release of 5 September 2019: Tarkemmat säännökset tieliikenteen raskaan kaluston ammattipätevyyden uudesta suorittamistavasta valmisteluun (in Finnish)
- Lausuntopalvelu.fi, request for comments: Luonnos valtioneuvoston asetukseksi kuorma- ja linja-auton kuljettajien ammattipätevyydestä annetun valtioneuvoston asetuksen (434/2018) muuttamiseksi (in Finnish)
- Government’s project information service: Kuorma- ja linja-auton kuljettajien ammattipätevyydestä annetun valtioneuvoston asetuksen muuttaminen (LVM028:00/2019) (in Finnish)
- Finlex: Act on Transport Services (320/2017) (in Finnish)
- Valtioneuvoston asetus kuorma- ja linja-auton kuljettajien ammattipätevyydestä (7.6.2018/434)