- Authorities and researchers to seek solutions to Arctic navigation Press release13.04.2018 12.16 fi sv en
- Study on the Arctic rail line completed: Kirkenes routing to be examined further Press release09.03.2018 14.16 fi sv en
- Minister Berner to attend the Arctic Frontiers conference in Tromsø Press release19.01.2018 10.56 fi sv en
- Development of the Arctic region requires good connectivity News article21.11.2017 10.15 fi en
- International support for the North-East Passage telecommunications cable News article25.11.2016 10.20 fi sv en
- Proposal: International centre of excellence on the shore of the Bay of Bothnia Press release16.12.2014 10.47 fi sv en
- Common interests from the Baltic Sea to the Bering Strait News article10.10.2013 10.36 en
Finland’s Chairmanship of the Arctic Council
Finland will hold the Chairmanship of the Arctic Council in 2017–2019. The Arctic Council is the leading cooperation forum of the Arctic States and Arctic indigenous people. The Council focuses on issues relating to sustainable development and environmental protection.
The key themes for Finland’s Chairmanship are environmental protection, meteorological cooperation, communications and education and training.
The themes of communications and meteorological cooperation are directly related to the administrative branch of the Ministry of Transport and Communications. Environmental protection is also closely linked with the activities within the branch.
The key objectives of the branch for the Chairmanship are related to seizing the business opportunities in the Arctic region in a sustainable manner, improvement of communications and marine safety in the Arctic region, and better utilisation of the weather and conditions data to support Arctic operations.
The Arctic Chairmanship rotates among the Arctic States (Finland, Iceland, Russia, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Canada and the USA), each of them assuming the lead position for two years at a time.
The Ministry for Foreign Affairs coordinates the activities in collaboration with other ministries and various stakeholders.