- The opening of passenger rail transport to competition proceeds with corporate reorganisation Press release07.06.2018 13.53 fi sv en
- Third stage of the Act on Transport Services sent out for comments Press release25.05.2018 12.18 fi sv en
- Tallinn tunnel Task Force: Unique mega-project requires private sector participation Press release15.05.2018 12.05 fi en
- Study on the Arctic rail line completed: Kirkenes routing to be examined further Press release09.03.2018 14.16 fi sv en
- Minister Berner: Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel could link the Arctic region with the heart of Europe via Finland Press release07.02.2018 10.15 fi sv en
- Report: Importance of mobility data in business quickly growing News article31.01.2018 13.10 fi sv en
- Legislation on traffic control reorganisation circulated for comments Press release28.12.2017 11.24 fi sv en
- Second stage of the Act on Transport Services encompasses the whole transport system Press release19.10.2017 13.40 fi sv en
- Rail transport reform benefits citizens and the whole society News article03.10.2017 14.51 fi sv en
- Corporate model would resolve transport network funding Press release19.01.2017 15.28 fi sv en
Passenger rail transport opens to competition
Passenger rail transport opens to competition in Finland. The reform aims to increase the competitiveness of railway transport and the volume and share of rail services in the future.
VR will no longer have exclusive right to the provision of rail transport services in the Finnish rail network and other operators can enter the passenger rail transport market as well.
Opening to competition will take place in stages
The opening to competition will start with regional transport in Southern Finland
Transport services will be tendered out based on a concession contract model. The opening to competition will start with regional transport in Southern Finland. The objective is to have the tendering process completed and services up and running in the summer 2022. The intention is that transport services based on the new contracts would be in place throughout the country by June 2026.
Ministry of Transport and Communications and the Helsinki Region Transport (HRT) arranged an information event on competitive tendering of railway passenger transport services 4 October 2017.
Three new state-owned companies
To ensure access to the market, three state-owned companies will be separated from VR Group Ltd: a rolling stock company, a maintenance company and a real estate company. The role and competitiveness of VR Group Ltd as a state-owned rail company will be safeguarded as part of the restructuring.
EU works towards open market access
Under the EU’s fourth railway package, Member States must ensure open market access across the EU as of 3 December 2019. In most EU Member States, national passenger rail transport has been opened to competition.
Information event 4.10.2017
- Information event on competitive tendering of the regional train services in Southern Finland 4.10.2017 klo 9.15-12 (YouTube)
- Ministry - Proposal for a tendering model for Southern Finland regional rail services
- Ministry - Current arrangements and implementation of the railway reform
- Minister Anne Berner - General policy overview and the railway reform
- Finnish Transport Safety Agency - Railway safety autohority and its functions
- Finnish Transport Agency - Railway network and its management
- Ministry - Overview of the ministry and its administrative branch
Related links to this site
Opening passenger rail transport to competition in Finland. Proposal for a tendering model for Southern Finland regional rail services. Report 10/2017.
Finland-Helsinki: Public transport services by railways. Prior information notice for public service contract (TED - Supplement to the Official Journal of the EU)
- Factsheet 73-2017 Opening passenger rail transport to competition Factsheet09.08.2017
- Factsheet 77-2017 Organising passenger rail transport Factsheet17.08.2017