null EU Transport Ministers discussed sustainable mobility and Single European Sky
EU Transport Ministers discussed sustainable mobility and Single European Sky
The Transport Ministers of the European Union met in Luxembourg on 3 June 2021. In the meeting, Finland was represented by Minister of Transport and Communications Timo Harakka.
The Ministers held a policy debate on the way forward in the strategy for sustainable and smart mobility and adopted Council conclusions on the matter.
“Transport plays an important role in the EU’s efforts to achieve climate neutrality by 2050. Today we confirmed the joint commitment of all Member States to the ecological and digital transformation that will make mobility sustainable and smart,” says Minister Timo Harakka.
The Council adopted conclusions on the rail sector. They aim to increase the modal share of rail transport and so support the implementation of the strategy for smart and sustainable mobility.
The Council agreed a general approach on the proposals on the implementation of the Single European Sky (SES2+). The reform of the Single European Sky aims to increase the efficiency of air traffic management and air navigation services. Together with like-minded countries, Finland issued a written statement on the matter. The statement expresses dissatisfaction with the text of the SES2+ proposal in its current form and a wish that it could be influenced in the trilogue negotiations.
“We have always been in favour of the Single European Sky. If we can optimise the routes and modernise the air navigation services, future aviation will be more efficient and environmentally friendly,” says Minister Harakka.
The Transport Ministers also discussed the situation in Belarus. They unanimously condemned what has happened and asked for a thorough investigation.
“Finland was among the first countries to ban flights from Belarus to our country. We support the EU’s joint, determined action,” Minister Harakka says.
Kristiina Pietikäinen, Senior Ministerial Adviser, tel. +358 40 522 2122
- Press release 2.6.2021: Minister Harakka attends a meeting of the EU Transport and Telecommunications Council
- Council of the European Union: Transport, Telecommunications and Energy Council (transport), 3 June 2021
- EU Council press release, 3 June 2021: Sustainable and Smart Mobility Strategy – Council adopts conclusions
- EU Council press release, 3 June 2021: Single European Sky: Council agrees its position on air traffic management reform
- EU Council press release, 3 June 2021: Rail at the forefront of smart and sustainable mobility – Council adopts conclusions
- EU Council press release, 3 June 2021: Clearer rules for the use of hired lorries – Council agrees its position
- EU Council press release, 3 June 2021: Inland navigation: Council approves general approach to allow continued work by non-EU nationals