Finland approves the establishment of International Organization for Marine Aids to Navigation
On 20 December 2022, the President of the Republic approved the Act on the national implementation of the Convention on the International Organization for Marine Aids to Navigation. The International Association of Lighthouse Authorities is changing its status into that of an official international organisation and its name into International Organization for Marine Aids to Navigation.
At its General Assembly in 2014, the International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) decided that its status be changed into that of an official international organisation. IALA stated that changing its status from a French association governed by private law to an international organisation would reinforce the weight of its recommendations. In order for the change to take place, a convention has to be concluded. Finland signed the Convention on 8 June 2021 and today it was approved by an Act.
The aim of IALA is to improve transport safety and to harmonise the marine aids to navigation. It publishes recommendations, instructions and handbooks on navigational aids. In Finland, IALA’s instructions are applied to the marking of waterways, for example. Finland considers its membership important, because it means opportunities to influence the preparation of the guidelines.
IALA was founded in 1957 and Finland joined in 1959. The main representative of Finland is the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency.
So far the Convention has been ratified or accepted by eleven states, in addition to Finland. It will enter into force on the ninetieth day after thirty states have ratified, accepted or approved it. In Finland, separate provisions on the entry into force of the Act will be issued by decree. The Act will enter into force at the same time as the international Convention.
Iida Huhtanen, Senior Officer, Legal Affairs, tel. +358 295 342 613, email@example.com
- Press release, 22 September 2022: Government proposes the establishment of International Organisation for Marine Aids to Navigation
- Press release, 25 May 2022: Proposal on the establishment of international Organization for Marine Aids to Navigation circulated for comments
- Press release, 27 September 2021: Status of the International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities to be strengthened
- Presidential session of the Government 20 December 2022
- Gateway to Information on Government Projects: Change of the International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities into an International Organisation of Marine Aids to Navigation (LVM057:00/2021) (in Finnish)
- IALA, International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities
- IALA: States that have ratified the Convention