null Government proposes adoption of amendments to the Vienna agreement on periodical technical inspections
Government proposes adoption of amendments to the Vienna agreement on periodical technical inspections
The Government proposes that Finland adopt and bring into force at national level the amendments to the Vienna agreement on periodical technical inspections. The amendments would facilitate cross-border transport by electric, hybrid and gas vehicles.
As a result of the amendments to the agreement, the periodical inspections of electric, hybrid and gas vehicles would include new items for testing, such as the electronic power train or gas installation of a vehicle. The aim is to increase vehicle safety.
By acceding to the Vienna agreement, the countries agree to mutually recognise the periodical technical inspections carried out in the signatory countries, which means that there is no need to demonstrate the roadworthiness of a vehicle by any other means. Finland became bound by the agreement in 2001. Finland’s neighbouring countries, Russia and Estonia, are also parties to the agreement.
The entry into force of the amendments would promote road safety and the climate objectives in the transport sector as well as support the wider use of alternative power sources in the future.
The changes would not have an impact on the inspection intervals or prices.
The amendments to the periodical technical inspections in the Vienna agreement prepared by the WP.29 (World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations) of the United Nations European Economic Commission entered into force in 2018–2020.
On 25 February 2021, the Government proposed that the amendments to the agreement be adopted.
A preliminary debate will be held on the proposal now submitted by the Government to Parliament. The timetable for the debate will be listed on Parliament’s website (upcoming plenary sessions).
After the preliminary debate, the proposal will be taken to a Parliamentary Committee. After the Committee submits a report, the process will continue in a plenary session.
The amendments to the agreement are scheduled to enter into force in spring 2021.
Eeva Asikainen, Senior Officer, tel. 050522 6204
- Press release, 21 October 2020: Legislative amendments concerning the Vienna agreement on periodical technical inspections for consultation
- Government: Material for Government plenary sessions (in Finnish)
- Gateway to Information on Government Projects: Approval and entry into force of amendments to the Vienna Agreement on periodical technical inspections (LVM025:00/2020) (in Finnish)
- UNECE, transport, vehicle regulations: 1997 Agreement (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, Vienna Agreement on periodical technical inspections)
- UNECE, transport, vehicle regulations: 1997 Agreement, Inspections (provisions to be brought into force)