Passenger rail transport opens to competition – Information event 4 October
Passenger rail transport opens to competition – Information event 4 OctoberNews article 31.08.2017 16.38 fi en
Passenger rail transport opens to competition in Finland. The reform aims to increase the competitiveness of railway transport and the volume and share of rail services in the future.
VR will no longer have exclusive right to the provision of rail transport services in the Finnish rail network and other operators can enter the passenger rail transport market as well.
Opening to competition will take place in stages.
The opening to competition will start with regional transport in Southern Finland
Transport services will be tendered out based on a concession contract model. The opening to competition will start with regional transport in Southern Finland. The process is scheduled to run in parallel with the competitive tendering of commuter rail services of the Helsinki Region Transport (HRT). The objective is to have the tendering process completed and services up and running in the early 2020s.
- Ministry of Transport and Communications and the Helsinki Region Transport (HRT) arrange an information event on competitive tendering of railway passenger transport services 4 October 2017
- The purpose of the event is to inform interested actors and stakeholders about the background to the opening up of railway services to competition and the packages for tendering as well as market entry requirements in Finland. The aim is also to provide the actors with an opportunity to share their views on the packages for tendering and on further preparations for the process.
Ministry of Transport and Communications: Elina Thorström, tel. +358 295342 393, firstname.lastname@example.org
Helsinki Region Transport: Kimmo Sinisalo, tel. +358 9 4766 4248, email@example.com
Three new state-owned companies
To ensure access to the market, three state-owned companies will be separated from VR Group Ltd: a rolling stock company, a maintenance company and a real estate company. The role and competitiveness of VR Group Ltd as a state-owned rail company will be safeguarded as part of the restructuring.
EU works towards open market access
Under the EU’s fourth railway package, Member States must ensure open market access across the EU as of 3 December 2019. In most EU Member States, national passenger rail transport has been opened to competition.
- Press release 9.8.2017: Passenger rail transport opens to competition
- Presentation 9.8.2017: Opening passenger rail transport to competition (SlideShare)
- Factsheet 73/2017: Opening passenger rail transport to competition
- Factsheet 74/2017: Opening passenger rail transport to competition in other countries
- Factsheet 77/2017: Organising passenger rail transport