null The Government proposes additional appropriation to assist shipping
The Government proposes additional appropriation to assist shipping
On 25 February, the Government submitted to Parliament a proposal for the first supplementary budget for 2021. The Government proposes additional funding of EUR 23.2 million to the administrative branch of the Ministry of Transport and Communications to support the operation of cargo and passenger shipping companies.
The primary objective for the transport is to operate on market terms. The appropriation will, however make it possible to support the operation of shipping companies, if this turns out to be necessary and the requirements for the support are met. Additional funding will therefore safeguard Finland's essential transport connections, security of supply and Finland's foreign trade transport.
Minister Harakka: Let us keep the economic cycle going
– Maritime transport is absolutely essential for Finland's foreign trade and security of supply. That is why one of our very first decisions on aid during the coronavirus crisis was to support the operation of shipping companies, and this vital support will now be continued, says Minister of Transport and Communications Timo Harakka.
– The pandemic has significantly hampered the operating conditions of Finnish shipping companies - at the same time shipping companies have cooperated in a commendable manner with regard to travel restrictions and test certificates. The new support period will ensure that we keep the Finnish economy running, Minister Harakka says.
Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom decides on transport obligations
The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom can impose a route section specific public service obligation in maritime transport if this is necessary for sufficient transport connections, security of supply and the transports of Finnish foreign trade. During the autumn of 2020, Traficom started several applications for subsidised shipping and has made decisions on transport obligations.
The Government issued a decree in July 2020 that lays down provisions on imposing a transport service obligation and on the specific terms and conditions for financial aid. The validity of the decree was extended in December 2020 until 30 June 2021.
In the fourth supplementary budget for 2020, EUR 24.8 million was earmarked for maritime support.
llkka Hamunen, Special Adviser to the Minister, tel. +358 50 478 1027, and Miikka Rainiala, Director of Unit, tel. +358 50 571 7751
- Press release on 17 December 2020: Government supports maritime transport
- Press release on 9 July 2020: Government issues decree on supporting maritime transport
- Press release on 12 June 2020: Government proposes appropriations to assist shipping