The Ministry aims to
- increase the availability of information and open data and generate new business operations;
- promote the utilisation of automation and robotics;
- ensure that services and networks are safe for the users.
Key duties of the Ministry
It is the duty of the Ministry of Transport and Communications to improve access to data and, by means of regulation, provide opportunities for data-based businesses.
The Ministry is responsible for law-drafting concerning data resources and use of information. Matters related to privacy protection and security and confidentiality of communications services fall within the Ministry's mandate.
Open data enables new services
As digital systems develop, the collection of data is converting more and more into industrial activity. Openness of information is a prerequisite for new services.
Open data and continuously developing mass data analysis methods provide substantial opportunities for transport and communications services, business operations and the entire society.
The aim of the Ministry and the administrative branch is to build up users' trust in digital services and business models. New transport and communications services and their safe use call for high-quality information security throughout the delivery chain.
For further information
- The digital business environment is making good headway Press release28.04.2017 15.41 fi sv en
- Reforms in the administrative branch of the Ministry of Transport and Communications Press release27.04.2017 15.10 fi sv en
- Finland aims to become leading ecosystem for intelligent transport Press release26.04.2017 11.05 fi sv en
- New air transport services between Finland and China Press release24.04.2017 10.12 fi en
- State air navigation service company to start operations – MINTC responsible for ownership steering Press release30.03.2017 13.41 fi sv en