Press releases and Topical
- The legislation on aviation will be amended. The amendments are based on the European Union Regulation on common rules in the field of civil aviation, the so-called EASA Regulation. The need to amend the national aviation legislation will also be assessed, for example with regard to provisions on areas in which aviation is restricted.
- This is the reply of the Ministry of Transport and Communications to the press release published by the Finnish Taxi Association on 9 April 2019. The taxi reform is part of the Act on Transport Services, which aims at providing clients with diverse services that correspond to their needs. The Act gives room for development of the entire transport market by reforming the public steering of transport and obligating service providers to make their data public for service development.
- The Ministry of Transport and Communications will increase the number of personnel working in law drafting, clarify the instructions and practices related to that work, develop the monitoring process and improve the orientation of the drafters. These measures, which will be launched immediately, are based on a study by the Ministry and the University of Eastern Finland on the development of law drafting.
- The new East Railway would improve transport connections in Eastern and Southern Finland and from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg. It would both shorten the route and reduce the travel time between Helsinki and Kouvola. The East Railway would be a significant new connection from Eastern Finland via Kouvola and Porvoo to Helsinki Airport. However, reductions in travel times would be moderate in relation to investment costs. This is apparent from the report on the East Railway published on 5 April 2019.
- There has been public debate about the project companies aimed at promoting large-scale investments in railway transport and the fast rail connections to Turku and Tampere. There are several open questions related to the project companies. This press release is aimed at clarifying their current situation.
New arrangement for purchased and public service traffic to significantly increase regional availability of rail transport servicesThe Ministry of Transport and Communications and VR Group have agreed upon the implementation of rail transport via a purchased traffic agreement in 2020. The new agreement will particularly increase the number of short-distance trains. The Ministerial Finance Committee endorsed the agreement on 28 March 2019.
- The reform of the legislation on the transport of dangerous goods is proceeding. The Ministry of Transport and Communications has appointed a steering group for the reform project. Its task is to support the work on the reform of the Act on the Transport of Dangerous Goods and statutes issued under it. The group's term of office will begin on 1 April 2019 and last until 31 December 2020.