The Ministry aims to
- ensure that the mobility, communications and transport needs of people and businesses are easily and efficiently met;
- enable customer-oriented development of transport and communications services;
- increase welfare and growth with the help of innovative services.
Key duties of the Ministry
It is the Ministry's duty to ensure, through up-to-date legislation, the basic level of transport and communications services and the development of the markets. It is also responsible for creating a working market environment for the supply and demand of transport and communications services, with a view to developing them on the basis of information and customers' needs.
The Ministry's purview also covers passenger transport and logistics services, universal service in television and radio broadcasting and postal services, provision of media content and consumer affairs.
The Ministry is active within the EU in creating a positive operating and regulatory environment for transport and communications services and development of new services.
Comprehensive transport services
In the electronic communications sector, services are already provided on market terms. Availability of reasonably priced and high-quality communications services is ensured through principles of universal service that are provided in legislation.
In the transport sector, ensuring the functioning of the market is highly topical. Transport services are meant to be converted into a service package along the lines of the communications service sector. In the future various transport service chains should work seamlessly together. The role of the public sector is to enable and create favourable operating conditions, and the responsibility for innovations and service development lies with the private sector. Finland is a pioneer in this "mobility as a service" thinking.
For further information
- Traffic control functions of the Transport Agency to be incorporated Press release14.06.2017 15.02 fi sv en
- State ownership structure of Cinia Group to be simplified Press release13.06.2017 08.30 fi sv en
- Taina Pieski to be Director of Strategic Affairs at the Ministry of Transport and Communications Press release09.06.2017 09.00 fi sv en
- Minister Berner to Transport and Telecommunications Council Press release07.06.2017 13.53 fi en