null Ministry of Transport and Communications information pack: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the transport system, communication networks and services
Ministry of Transport and Communications information pack: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the transport system, communication networks and services
This is the Ministry's information page on matters concerning the coronavirus outbreak. The information will be updated regularly. It was last updated on 29 June 2020.
The Ministry of Transport and Communications and the agencies and bodies subordinate to it are closely monitoring the impact of the coronavirus outbreak and its consequences for the transport and communications system. Measures being taken are drawn up in accordance with guidance issued by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health and the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.
The website of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare provides comprehensive information on the coronavirus. The Institute issues guidelines and updates these and other materials on the basis of new information.
General information on the coronavirus is available by telephone at 0295 535 535 and via chat. The information service is open on weekdays at 8–21 and Saturdays at 9–15.
Government decides on plan for hybrid strategy to manage coronavirus crisis and for gradual lifting of restrictions
On Sunday 3 May and today 4 May, the Government held an informal meeting to discuss an action plan for a hybrid strategy to manage the coronavirus crisis and for ways of gradually lifting the restrictive measures.
At its plenary session on Wednesday 6 May, the Government adopted a resolution on a plan for a hybrid strategy to manage the COVID-19 crisis.
Q&A: Questions and answers
How are companies in the sector being supported?
The Government is planning measures to assist companies.
How will the functioning of communications connections be ensured when many companies have switched to remote working? Is there enough capacity?
The aim is for the transport and communications system to function as normally as possible. Finland's telecommunications networks have good capacity and resilience. The National Cyber Security Centre, which operates within the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency, monitors the situation and issues instructions as necessary.
- Press release 26.6.2020: Working group appointed to prepare state support for journalism
- Press release 15.6.2020: Comments invited on a proposal on government support for journalism
- Press release 12.6.2020: Government proposes appropriations to assist shipping
- Press release 10.6.2020: Extension granted to working group examining the digital leap forward
- Press release 5.6.2020: Government’s fourth supplementary budget proposal: Support for public transport services, walking and cycling, infrastructure projects across the country
- Press release 5.6.2020: EU telecoms ministers discuss the promotion of digitalization
- Press release 4.6.2020: Forum on safe public transport services in emergency conditions
- Press release 4.6.2020: EU transport ministers discussed the recovery of transport
- Press release 3.6.2020: Minister Harakka attends meetings of EU transport and telecommunications ministers
- Press release 2.6.2020: Supplementary budget includes major climate-friendly recovery package: Public transport support and infrastructure projects across the country
- Press release 28.5.2020: Temporary amendments to transport legislation enter into force on 1 June
- Press release 28.5.2020: Validity of driving licences and transport licences to be extended in line with EU derogations
- Press release 25.5.2020: Return to normal driving times and rest periods in heavy transport
- Press release 20.5.2020: Amendment to the Act on Air Traffic Control Fees
- Press release 20.5.2020: Temporary amendments to transport legislation – Parliament adopts the legislative package
- Press release 14.5.2020: Regulatory proposals from the Commission for the transport sector
- Press release 6.5.2020: Working group to examine how to turn the steps taken during the current exceptional circumstances into a permanent digital leap forward
- Press release 5.5.2020: Telecommunications ministers discuss the tracing apps in tackling COVID-19 crisis
- Press release 4.5.2020: Minister Harakka attends a meeting of EU telecommunications ministers
- Press release 30.4.2020: Temporary amendments to transport legislation
- Press release 28.4.2020: Minister Harakka attends a video conference of EU transport ministers
- Press release 28.4.2020: Minister Harakka: Functionality of the media must be ensured
- Press release 27.4.2020: Vehicles must be inspected also in emergency conditions
- Press release 24.4.2020: Comments invited on discontinuation of fairway dues
- Press release 23.4.2020: Exemptions to driving times and rest periods extended
- Press release 16.4.20202: Minister Harakka commissions a study on support for journalism
- Press release 16.4.2020: Special agreements bring flexibility in emergency conditions to provisions on transport of gases needed in hospitals
- Press release 15.4.2020: Minister Harakka: Private car use by people in risk groups safeguarded also in emergency conditions
- Minister Timo Harakka 6.4.2020: Tracing the transmission chains of coronavirus – How and under what conditions?
- Press release 2.4.2020: Transport of dangerous goods under emergency conditions ensured
- Press release 27.3.2020: Minister Harakka: Communications network capacity adequate even in exceptional situations
- Press release 26.3.2020: Temporary exemptions to driving times and rest periods due to coronavirus situation
- Press release 20.3.2020: EU transport ministers discussed the effects of the coronavirus in the transport sector
- Press release 18.3.2020: Minister Harakka attends a video conference of EU transport ministers on coronavirus
- Finnish Government: Information and advice on the coronavirus
- Finnish institute for health and welfare: Coronavirus COVID-19 – Latest Updates
- Government Communications Department Press release 23.6.2020: Government updates policies on border issues, remote working and recommendations for persons over 70 years of age
- Government Communications Department Press release 15.6.2020: Use of powers under the Emergency Powers Act to end – state of emergency to be lifted on Tuesday 16 June
- Government Communications Department Press release 3.6.2020: Government decides on face masks and discusses border traffic in its informal meeting
- Government Communications Department Press release 6.5.2020: Government Resolution on a plan for a hybrid strategy to manage the COVID-19 crisis
- Government Communications Department Press release 4.5.2020: Government decides on plan for hybrid strategy to manage coronavirus crisis and for gradual lifting of restrictions
- Government Communications Department 7.4.2020: Government decided on tightening restrictions on border traffic along the border with Sweden and Norway and on steps to secure medical care in Åland
- Ministry of Interior 7.4.2020: New restrictions on border crossings
- Press release 25.3.2020: Movement restrictions to Uusimaa - the Government decided on further measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus epidemic
- Press release of the Ministry of the Interior 17.3.2020: Finland will restrict cross-border traffic - retired border guards and police officers may be called back to work
- The Finnish Border Guard: Questions and answers about the effects of COVID-19 on border traffic
- Turvallisesti matkaan -campaign