Proposal to extend purchase subsidy programmes for electric and gas-fuelled vans and trucks – statements requested by 7 August
It is proposed that the Act on Fixed-Term Subsidies for Purchasing and Converting Vehicles to Use Alternative Fuels or Propulsion Systems, or the Purchase and Conversion Subsidies Act, be amended. The Ministry of Transport and Communications requests comments on a draft for a government proposal.
Based on the draft proposal, the term of application of the Act concerning purchase subsidies for electric and gas-fuelled vans and trucks would be extended. The application of the Act on purchase subsidies for vans and trucks would be extended until the end of 2024. The Act currently applies to purchase subsidies for vans, which are applied for no later than 31 December 2022, and to purchase subsidies for trucks, which are applied for no later than 31 March 2023. In the same connection, the period of validity of the Act would be extended until 31 December 2026.
The aim is to make it possible to apply for purchase subsidies for electric and gas-fuelled vans and trucks until the end of 2024, in accordance with the decisions made on appropriations. The aim is to renew the vehicle stock, which will reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transport.
Additional funding for purchase subsidies for vans and trucks
In April, the Ministerial Working Group on Preparedness decided on the green transition package for 2022 and 2023. As part of the package, funding was allocated to measures included in the Roadmap for Fossil-Free Transport. According to the decision of the Ministerial Working Group, an additional EUR 4.5 million will be reserved for purchase subsidies for vans and EUR 4 million for purchase subsidies for trucks in 2022–2023. Parliament approved the decisions on appropriations for the current calendar year as part of the second supplementary budget for 2022.
The deadline for comments on the draft proposal is 7 August 2022. All organisations and private individuals may submit comments at www.lausuntopalvelu.fi. www.lausuntopalvelu.fi. Following the consultation round, the preparations will continue at the Ministry.
The proposal is to be discussed in connection with the budget proposal for 2023 in the autumn. The act should enter into force as soon as possible, and no later than 31 December 2022.
15 July–4 August Emmi Simonen, Senior Specialist, tel. +358 50 300 6148, firstname.lastname@example.org
4–7 August Pinja Oksanen, Senior Officer, tel. +358 46 921 2693, email@example.com
- Press release 12 April 2022 Funding for measures in the Road Map for Fossil-Free Transport
- Press release 23 December 2021 Act on purchase and conversion subsidies for low-emission vehicles into force
- Lausuntopalvelu.fi: Request for comments on a draft for a government proposal to amend the Act on Fixed-Term Subsidies for Purchasing and Converting Vehicles to Use Alternative Fuels or Propulsion Systems, or the Purchase and (...) (in Finnish)
- Act on Fixed-Term Subsidies for Purchasing and Converting Vehicles to Use Alternative Fuels or Propulsion Systems (1289/2021) (in Finnish and Swedish)
- Parliament: Press release 28 June 2022 Parliament approved the second supplementary budget for 2022